The 24 members of the Colonial Council consisted of ten members elected by French citizens, ten by Vietnamese who were classed as French subjects, two by the Chamber of Commerce and two by the Chamber of Agriculture.
Amongst the Vietnamese electorate, three Trotskyist candidates Tạ Thu Thâu, Tran Van Thach and Phan Văn Hùm received around 80% of the vote; the pro-French Constitutionalist Party received 15% and Stalinists candidates 1%.
- Justin Corfield (2014) Historical Dictionary of Ho Chi Minh City, Anthem Press, pxxi
- Paul H. Kratoska (2001) South East Asia, Colonial History: High imperialism (1890s-1930s), Taylor & Francis, p311
- Peter M Dunn (1985) The First Vietnam War, C. Hurst & Co. Publishers, p8
- Allen Myers (2004) The Vietnamese Revolution and Its Leadership, Resistance Books, p32
- Frank N Trager (1959) Marxism in Southeast Asia: A Study of Four Countries, Volume 7, Stanford University Press, p143